Thursday, June 17, 2010

Zombies vs. Unicorns GOOOOAAAAL! (Limited Edition Bound Manuscript)

Killer unicorns and romantic zombies.  This anthology was full of surprises on both sides of the debate. With an all-star cast of authors writing for both sides this book did not disappoint.  Writing for Team Zombie was: Libbay Bray, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Carrie Ryan, and Scott Westerfeld. Writing for Team Unicorn was: Kathleen Duey, Meg Cabot, Garth Nix, Margo Lanagan, Naomi Novik, and Diana Peterfreund.  The stories alternate between Zombie and Unicorn and each is prefaced by point and counterpoint by editors Holly Black (Team Unicorn) and Justine Larbalastier (Team Zombie) trying to make their case for which team wins with each story. In the end I think we the readers are the real winners.

This book became the first anthology that I finished in one non-stop run. I was surprised at how deep into each story I was pulled in such a short amount of time. I usually enjoy the books that allow me time to hang out with the characters but these are just great stories that take you there from the start.  I have to admit that I still have a hard time with taking killer unicorns very seriously, but I’m also am not looking for any killer unicorns to make a believer out of me.  In the early part of the book I was ready to hand the match to Team Zombie but there were some pretty great Unicorn stories that brought it within reach for Team Unicorn. They both finished strong with The Third Virgin by Kathleen Duey for Team Unicorn and Prom Night by Libba Bray for Team Zombie. In the end I still have to hand it to Team Zombie. At the end of the day I think I connect better with the kissing undead than the killer Rainbow Brite. This book is a great read and will be a great read for those who find it hard to get into books. This is an excellent book if you are a YA fan and it won’t disappoint. Zombies vs. Unicorns is set to release September 21, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment